Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Something I Felt Like Sharing

I'm a fan of John Sandford's Prey series (his new one is #17, I believe), one I've been reading faithfully for probably 10 years or so. Though they rarely deviate from the standard mystery/thriller script, and one's kind of indistinguishable from another, I think one thing that separates Sandford from the factory line of similar authors is his gift for characterization. Even his minor characters are given some life beyond a cardboard cutout.

For example, here's a line from his latest, "Invisible Prey":

Jim Cole was a stiff; a guy who'd get out of the shower to pee.

That's all the description we get of him, but man, how incisive is that?

If you're looking for a nice, breezy thriller that doesn't require much effort, isn't James Patterson (heaven forbid), and won't insult your intelligence, I'd recommend trying Sandford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home